34 – Maintenance obligation of children towards parents in need of care (help with care)

Fact sheet no. 34

If the costs for nursing care exceed the income of a person in need of nursing care, he or she can get what is known as help with care from the social welfare office. As soon as the social welfare office contributes to the costs of care or assumes these costs, an assessment will be made as to whether the children of the parent in need of care are in a position to contribute to these costs (maintenance obligation).